Sunday, July 25, 2010

Floating Points and Floating-Point Arithmetic

My Java experiment, which has been eating much of my development time lately, should soon be playable. Frame-independent movement (don't move 1 pixel per frame, move 15 pixels per second and track dt) and rounding issues were finally remedied, and I got my logic improved for jumping from rising platforms. I also briefly implemented a scrolling background layer that doesn't seem to eat too much more CPU. Net effect of all this work? I could have my falling Santa game going within the week. Which means I could bug people who won't have time to help for sprites.

Mnemonic-wise, I haven't done anything. I really would like to turn out a trailer before school starts -- making the one last summer was really fun. As for making an RPish game playable and -- more importantly -- fun in three weeks, it won't happen. That doesn't bother me, so I guess if anything, my goal would be to finish fleshing out the environment for a future fun experience. My sense of time and haste will be inverted a bit tomorrow, so I'll try to focus on Mnemonic instead for a day, see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment