Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Welcome

I started MnemonicRL in the summer of 2009. My previous roguelikes were all duds; EmotionRL had a mildly amusing demo that some people actually took the time to beat, and HalloweenRL would later become Rigor Mortis Online, an unrelated game. However, it only took about three months to release a multiplayer roguelike. The trailer caught attention, and the debates about permadeath in a non-MMORPG MMORPG on rgrd began. Meanwhile, August arrived, and I suddenly had to concentrate on life again.

So I apologize for my length delay, but I am back for another summer, at least. With college in the fall, I can't make any promises about time, but I will try my best to keep the project running.


My current goals are to get the game running again and released so the players that were kind enough to playtest last summer may return. At present, I am in the middle of overhauling much of the code -- I'll talk about that in other posts. Once things run, I will ensure that they run in the client/server multiplayer mode and with a singleplayer option. The best way to appease traditionalists who want a coffeebreak game and role-players with the desire for permanence is to support both gameplay styles. This isn't that hard to do, actually. Another debate I haven't settled yet is when to employ real-time vs turn-based gameplay. I think both are useful in different situations, so I'm working to support them.

Well, I'm going to add more pages to the blog. If you'd like to support me, comment on my ideas -- this is a game for you, after all -- and play when I get the release out. I'll see you soon in Cyphen (or perhaps Uben)!

No comments:

Post a Comment