Monday, May 31, 2010

Oh yes, I have pictures

Changes, ahoy? Alright, first we've got animated water... it's not perfect yet, but basically you will be able to see a river flowing or a fountain gushing. Because my cleverness occasionally rivals my ego, this effect actually adds very little lag to levels. Still needs tweaking, but checky:











Alright, next we've got a map that resembles something... oh hey, it's a giant keyboard. Each key is a room... but what will be inside? What could this be for?


Finally, we have a lobby of a hotel... officially my new focus. The chandelier will swing, that's a fireplace to the left, and an elevator to the right. So what's the deal with the hotel, anyway?

Well, some guests in Cyphen seem to cling to their old memories a bit too much... this is dangerous for them, according to the conspirators. The hotel does everything it can to 'accomodate.' So the best the staff can do is keep the guests trapped in a time loop... they re-live their last 24 hours of life over and over and over... your job is to break this pattern. So you talk to them, slowly unravel their memories and the secret of their death (don't forget, Cyphen is a purgatory for suicides...) by following them, discovering mementos, and ultimately triggering total recall by interrupting their routine. Roguelike elements remain... hopefully I can get their paths, memories, stories, and locations randomized. Also, there will be much fighting in the randomly-generated hotel rooms and "boss battles" with staff members who fight to maintain their guests' delusions. I have a great many ideas for floor layouts and room designs, of course, and I will be posting screenshots as I get them translated from paper sketch to ASCII. I also hope to have the maps online and accessible sometime tomorrow.

So you can't say I haven't been busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment