Thursday, June 10, 2010

Abstractions only, please

No pretty pictures today, sorry. I accomplished three simple but vital tasks today...

  1. An in-game clock that'll run at whatever rate I tell it to, and not necessarily a consistent one.
  2. Regions within a map that may print descriptions when you enter them. There's that interactive fiction element.
  3. And also an interact command, currently bound to the space key, that may trigger something within a region.
Random guestroom dungeons are still bugging me. I had a few ideas for the bulk of the room before you get to the giant silhouette  furniture. There could be a floating path to follow, a maze... but underneath is a giant colored checkerboard. A second maze is superimposed there. You have to solve the first maze while minding what sort of large tile is beneath you. To complica make things more interesting, the path could sway back and forth... I have a great visual image of this, but it turns out to be a taste tricky to implement. I was going to use a standing wave with 3 stationary nodes (the path sways by pivoting around you) but my parametrization of this isn't working out too well. Plus, I'm not sure standing waves with a moving center node even exist, let alone a nice equation to model one. I have consulted my old physics teacher with this problem...

But anyway, the issue stands -- what should happen in a randomly-generated guestroom? Bugger if I know, I'll figure it out tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment